Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My First Week in Cambodia!

Wow! I cannot believe that I have been in Cambodia for over one week! I have already had the chance to do so much and see so much! I sometimes get overwhelmed when I think about recording everything that I do, but I really want to remember these first days and share with you about what I see and do! So, here is an overview of Week 1!

Saturday, April 25

I had spent two nights in Phnom Penh and I was ready to see the city! Kerstin and I headed out late morning to hail our first Tuk Tuk (a covered cart with a bench that is pulled by a motor scooter—or "moto" as it called here). Not speaking Khmer (the language of Cambodia), we gave direction using the one of the few landmarks I knew yet, and made our way to "Blind Massage". A one hour massage given by a blind person: $6. This is just one example of the many businesses in Phnom Penh that are providing jobs and training to the disabled or less advantaged in the community. I'm definitely planning to support these establishments, especially since it's so relaxing!


[Kerstin and me on our first tuk tuk ride!]


The massage was followed by another tuk tuk ride to Café Yejj (a not-for-profit café) located near the Russian Market (major outdoor market). Iced coffee, couscous salad, and a ham and cheese crepe made me wonder if I was still in Cambodia. So yummy and refreshing! After lunch we were ready to hit the market! Hundreds of stalls, in I don't know how many rows and columns, had stall keepers ready to sell us anything we might need: all types of clothing (many from US stores that have factories in Cambodia: GAP, Old Navy, Banana Republic, as well as brands I recognized from Walmart or Kohl's), kitchen supplies, bicycle tires, handicrafts, table cloths, silver jewelry (is it real I wonder?), various tools and hardware, and, of course, every CD or DVD known to man (illegal copies of course) in various levels of quality. I walked out with a North Face computer bag for $11 (I bartered down from $14). Apparently it didn't pass the test to make to the store shelves in the states, but I think it's perfect for toting around dusty Cambodia!

Our last stop of the day was at the grocery store—that is designed for the Westerner—where I purchased yogurt, boxed milk, Pringles, and a few other basics. All in all it was a fantastic day. A great taste of life in the city of Phnom Penh, Cambodia!

[My view from inside the tuk tuk: a street in central Phnom Penh.]


Sunday, April 26

Kerstin and I joined Kate at her church for Sunday morning worship. There are several international churches in Phnom Penh and I would like to visit as many of them as I can and then find one to attend regularly for my 8 months here. So, my visit to Kate's church was the first and a great intro into church in Cambodia. It is called Jubilee Family Church and is a church plant of Newfrontiers. It's a small congregation (about 25 that Sunday) and is a mix of Cambodians and Ex-patriots from various countries. The pastor and his wife were very welcoming and full of energy!

Monday, April 27

This was my second day at the World Relief Country Office. The day began with all staff worship time—very lively in Cambodian style—with prayer and singing (I recognized the tune to several songs, but not the words!). I spent a little time with Kate going over some of upcoming things we would be working on and then I got to sit in on a program meeting. We heard updates from a couple of the program staff and enjoyed a great lunch from a nearby bakery. That evening I joined Kirsten for dinner at the home of Tim and Dar, missionaries here in Cambodia, whose daughter is Kirsten's boss in Baltimore! Small world! They live in between the WR office and our house in beautiful, newly built house that they use as their office and home. One of their projects is to sell crafts handmade by people living in the village where they work. There were baskets of woven rugs, wooden boxes, and other beautiful things! I hope to buy some gifts and souvenirs from their shop. Tim and Dar are great, so hospitable and so fun! We had a delicious Thai dinner (Dar grew up in Thailand) and enjoyed a lovely evening out on the rooftop terrace. It was so nice to get to know some other ex-pats living in Cambodia, hear their story, and fellowship together.

To be continued…

So much in just three days! Of course, there is so much to share about everything, since it is so new! On Tuesday we went on our first "Field Visit" out to the rural parts of Cambodia. That is a big story of its own and I will share about in my next post. Thanks for reading and thanks always for your prayers! If would like to hear more about something or just want to comment, please do so! I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, Katers. If every week is this full, how will you ever find time to update again? : )
    [By the way, the pictures don't show up and clicking on them sends me to an error page.]

    ReplyDelete