Sunday, June 21, 2009

Buzzzz Off!

Mosquitoes. They love hot, humid climates. They hide out in bathrooms, in dark places (like moto helmets), and they greet me every morning when I enter the office. They are quick to bite and the bites seem especially itchy here in Cambodia! Oh, mosquito! How I loathe thee!

But, it's not just the bite that is bad; it's the potential danger that comes with the bite. Mosquitoes in Cambodia are carriers of two major diseases: malaria and dengue fever. The risk for malaria is only at night; it can be prevented with mosquito repellent and anti-malarial medication (thankfully!). The risk for dengue fever is during the day, especially in the morning and evening. There is no known medicine to treat or prevent dengue, so it is very important to wear mosquito repellent. I need to be better at this!

There are several "natural remedies" to repel mosquitoes: apple cider vinegar, garlic, citronella, etc. But, the very best way to shun those nasty little guys is with some good, strong DEET! I'm sticking with the strong stuff!

Sometimes it seems strange to spray myself with Off! Deep Woods while I'm in my air conditioned office. It's for the "deep woods," right? There aren't any woods to be seen from my window, but the mosquitoes are here and they are hungry. I think that I've gotten used to the "bug spray smell"–that reminds of camping and bonfires–but I don't think I'll get used to my flying, biting enemies.

They say that dengue fever is a high risk this summer. Ashley Weselo, from College Park!, is in Cambodia for the summer volunteering as our Summer ESL Coordinator. She came down with dengue two summers ago while she was here teaching English. She was very sick, but the dengue didn't keep her away for too long! Thankfully, she is back in Cambodia this summer with mosquito repellent in hand! Her advice: "Wear lots of bug spray!" I think that sums it up.

Note: I originally wrote this post for our Summer ESL blog. Feel free to check it out at eslcambodia.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment