Wednesday, November 11, 2009

From my plate...

I love food. And I like variety in my food choices. I've found some really great restaurants in Phnom Penh that have assisted me in need for different kinds of good food. I really do like Cambodia food, too, and get to have it fairly regularly at friends' houses and when I travel. And, thankfully, I don't tire of rice! I haven't cooked Cambodian food myself, yet, but I hope to take a cooking class before I leave. I like to cook--and occassionally take the time and effort to prepare a complete meal for myself and/or my roommates.

Usually, if I'm left to my own devices (like preparing food for just myself), I'm more likely to take the easy way out and make things like pasta, ham sandwhiches, cereal, and my beloved Mac & Cheese. (Mac & Cheese and Pringles are two of things that are "survival" staples in my diet overseas. I'm pretty sure Mac & Cheese, the Kraft brand if possible, will remain one of my favorite foods for the rest of my life.)

Anyway, back to good food. I was looking through some of my photos from the past few weeks and realized I had photographed quite a variety of tasty treats! So, I would like to show you a few of the yummy (and interesting) foods I've had in Cambodia!


1. Prawn and Pomelo Salad

Cafe Yejj is located just down the street from Russian Market, the place to go for gifts and souvenirs (as well as a great place for tailor-made clothing, silver jewelry, and cheap backpacks). Cafe Yejj promotes good business practices and provides training and education for their staff--who are very professional and kind! All of the food I've tried has been delicious! Recently, I watched a salad pass by me on the way to another customer. It looked so good and refreshing, so I asked the waiter what it was. I then ordered the Prawn and Pomelo salad for myself. Pomelo is one of the many fruits found in Cambodia. It's big and pink, and very similar to grapefruit, but a little sweeter. The salad was great, but surprisingly spicy! There were some chili peppers chopped up underneath all of that lovely fruit! There was definitely a Cambodian edge to this salad!




2. Caramel Latte

Well, it wasn't my first time to get a caramel latte from The Terrace Cafe, but I liked the photo of this one. Terrace is right around the corner from both my house and office, so I go there often in the mornings for coffee and quiet time. The staff know me now, too, which makes it feel a little like home. I love coffee and I am thankful that I can find a lovely cup so close to home!




3. Saffron and Gold Risotto

Luna d'autunno
is on the top of my list of favorite restaurants in Phnom Penh. It's Italian, the atmosphere is fabulous, the staff are great, and the food is delicious. My roommates and I have been there often and I try to take as many friends there as I can. Each time I go I want to try something new and I'll often asked the owner, Michael, for his suggestion. When I was in mood for risotto, he recommended this:


Yes, the name said "saffron and gold" and that's what I got! It was really good, definitely something different and new. And what girl can resist edible gold flakes on her food? So fancy!

4. Pink Ribbon Bagel

This was brought in "special delivery" by the team from Dallas that came to host our staff retreat. I had mentioned that I bummed that I wasn't home during October to enjoy the special bagel Panera makes for Breast Cancer Awareness month. It was so good, and even better since it was such a special treat! This was definitely a surprising addition to my food choices!



There is one more very special food item...but the picture didn't load. Get excited--it's good one!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment